Slip and Fall Accident FAQ

Slip and fall accidents happen far too often in Missouri and Kansas. Slip and fall accidents can occur almost anywhere, from sidewalks to parking lots to playgrounds, and everywhere in between. When we slip and fall, we might assume that it is our fault. However, when the property owner failed to use reasonable care to keep the property safe, victims of slip and fall accidents may be able to bring a personal injury lawsuit against them to recover compensation. We have compiled some of our most frequently asked questions regarding slip and fall accidents below.

1. What Should I Do After a Slip and Fall Accident?

It can be difficult to know what to do after a slip and fall accident. However, one of the most important things you can do is to seek medical treatment as soon as possible. You will need to undergo a thorough medical examination and document all of your injuries. Putting together a comprehensive list of all of your injuries and symptoms will help you when you file a claim with the insurance company or submit a personal injury lawsuit. If you are able to do so, take pictures of the scene of the accident and write down any details you remember about the accident. If there are witnesses, write down their contact information.

2. What is My Slip and Fall Case Worth?

Every slip and fall accident is different, and the amount your case is worth depends on many different factors. First, you will need to be able to prove that the property owner acted negligently and the negligence caused your slip and fall injuries. Next, your recovery amount will depend on the severity of your injuries. Courts tend to award more compensation to severely injured individuals. An experienced personal injury lawyer can help you determine a ballpark figure of what your slip and fall case may be worth.

3. I Fell on My Friend’s Rental Property, What Should I Do?

The first step in bringing a slip and fall claim is to determine who is liable for your injuries. Many people slip and fall at their friend or neighbor’s house and do not want to sue their loved ones. Keep in mind, however, that you can often file a claim against their insurance company, and, if it is settled, you will not have to sue them personally. If you slip and fall at your friend’s apartment and the landlord was negligent in keeping the area safe, you may be able to collect from the insurance policy for the apartment owner or management company.

Slip and Fall Accident FAQ: Contact an Experienced Slip and Fall Lawyer Today

The sooner you speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer, the better. At Griggs Injury Law, our personal injury team has helped many clients in Kansas and Missouri recover the compensation they deserve after experiencing a slip and fall. Contact us today to schedule your initial consultation.