The Experienced Legal Judgment
You Want In Difficult Injury Cases
When it comes to brain injuries, spinal injuries and dram shop cases, Annette Griggs and her legal team at the Griggs Injury Law firm each have over 20 years of experience to fight for their clients in a personal, professional manner.
Representative Case Results
- $8,000,000 judgment – Melissa Rasmussen v. SRJS Inc. and Tyler Rivera – A Clay County judge awarded an $8 million judgment to a woman severely injured by a drunken driver, despite the intervention of the defendant’s insurer. Judge Janet Sutton on Feb. 25 found in favor of Melissa Rasmussen in her claims against SRJS Inc. and a server at a bar the company owns. Attorneys for Rasmussen now must seek to collect the $6 million in actual damages and $2 million in punitive damages from the defendants’ insurer, Illinois Casualty. Although the insurer has denied coverage for its policyholders’ admitted negligence, a recent law change allowed Illinois Casualty to take part in the bench trial where the damages were determined. The case appears to be among the first in the state in which an insurer has successfully intervened. The case stems from an Oct. 26, 2013, crash in Clay County. Melissa Rasmussen was driving home from a movie with a friend when she was hit head-on by Rebecca Milner. Rasmussen was knocked unconscious from the impact and suffered a traumatic brain injury, as well as multiple facial contusions, chest bruising and injuries to her arms, legs and hands. During the next several years, Rasmussen was treated for her brain injury and physical symptoms by her primary care physicians, a psychiatrist and a treating neurologist, with multiple trips to the emergency room. She received cognitive and vestibular therapy. According to her expert, she will suffer permanently from traumatic post-concussive migraine headaches. Annette Griggs of Griggs Injury Law, an attorney for Rasmussen, said the insurer put the bar’s owners in a tough position by denying coverage and then litigating the case anyway. “Now they get the benefits of that,” she said. Click here to read more.
- $1,000,000 settlement – Confidential v. Confidential – In a Missouri Dram Shop case, a bar served an underaged woman until she was extremely intoxicated then allowed her to leave the bar and drive a car. She had a one car accident in which she tragically died. 2018
- $2,200,000 settlement – Delana v. CED Sales – Lafayette County, Missouri. Settled during litigation. Read the press release announcing the filing of the lawsuit: Brady Center Lawsuit Targets Missouri Gun Dealer for Gun Sale to Mentally Ill Woman Who Killed Father. Read the press release announcing the Missouri Supreme Court Victory: Victory in Brady Case Against Missouri Gun Dealer for Sale to Mentally Ill Woman Who Killed Father. Read the Trace’s coverage of the case: Lawsuits Against Gun Sellers Almost Never Make it to Trial. This One Will. 2016.
- $1,000,000 – Confidential v. Confidential, Loss of Consortium Claim for spouse of man severely injured in a Semi-Truck tractor trailer accident; 2014
- $1,150,000 Settlement – Traumatic brain injury case in Kansas: Motorcycle accident resulting in Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), broken bones and other serious injuries; 2014
- $1,000,000 verdict – Lull v. Benjamin Surry, Verdict in Jackson County, MO for a Wrongful Death Case arising from an Automobile Accident in which the defendant was illegally Drag Racing with the driver of the victim’s car, 2012
- $70,000 jury verdict – Brown v. Allinder, Jackson Co: 0916-CV40080 – 2011 – Automobile negligence – Jury Trial and Plaintiff’s Verdict – (verdict for rotator cuff repair), 2011
- $750,000 settlement – Confidential v. Confidential, Wrongful death settlement in a dram shop case involving a bar in Jackson County that over-served alcohol to a visibly intoxicated patron who then wrecked car and killed plaintiff’s daughter, 2011
- $2,268,979 verdict – Smith v. Bush, Lafayette Co: 10LF-CV00715 – 2011 – Civil Negligence – judgment in a bench trial for serious personal injuries sustained when a throttle stuck open on defendant’s motorcycle, 2011
- $1,100,000 Settlement – Clough v. Taylor, Clay Co: 11CY-CV04226 – Wrongful Death of 21 year old man hit and killed while riding his bicycle on public street, 2011
- $4,000,000 Settlement – Confidential v. Confidential – Jackson Co, MO – Dram Shop (a brother and sister injured by drunk driver who was over-served at local establishment), 2010
- $100,000 Arbitration – Harris v. MHTC – Jackson Co, MO: 0816-CV00420- Wrongful Death – $100,000 Arbitration – award for plaintiff for improper warning of dangerous condition allowed to exist on I-70 bridge over Manchester), 2009
- $2,125,000 Settlement – Confidential v. Confidential – Jackson Co, MO – 2008 – Products liability (involving a young woman who sustained a severe traumatic brain injury while restrained only by a lap belt in a minivan), 2008
- $300,000 Settlement – McCurley v. Bridges – Wyandotte Co, KS: 2004-PR-000323 – 2005 – Wrongful Death (negligence of homeowner resulting in natural gas explosion), 2005