Being involved in a hit-and-run accident can be extremely frustrating. Hit-and-run accidents happen anytime one driver crashes into another vehicle, pedestrian, or onto private property and leaves without identifying himself or rendering aid. In addition to trying to heal from your severe injuries, you are likely worried about how you will recover compensation from the at-fault driver. It is wise to know what you will do if another driver flees a car accident scene without stopping to exchange information. The following tips will help you if you have been injured in a Missouri hit-and-run car accident.

What to Do After a Hit-and-Run Accident

Being in a hit-and-run accident can be disorienting, but it is important that you do not leave the accident scene until you have taken some necessary measures to protect your rights. If the driver has not fled the scene yet, try to write down his or her license plate number. Write down any other observations of the accident that you can make.

Take photos of the scene, all vehicles involved, and any injuries you have.  Call 911 and report the wreck.  Be sure to note the location of the accident and any other conditions of the accident. Doing so will help law enforcement officers and emergency responders in their responsibility. Any information you can give them will help them track down the at-fault hit-and-run driver. Make sure that you call law enforcement as soon as possible after the collision happens. The sooner the police can start working on the case, the better.

It is also wise to go to the hospital right away after your car accident. Receiving a thorough medical evaluation will help you understand all of your injuries. Neck, back, and other injuries are not always apparent immediately after a severe car accident. Receiving a thorough medical evaluation will help you with your future legal claim, and it will help you with an insurance claim.

Filing an Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Claim

If law enforcement officers cannot track down the driver who caused your accident, you may need to file a claim through your own insurance company. Many insurance policies offer coverage for uninsured and underinsured drivers. If you are in a hit-and-run collision, you can file an uninsured motorist claim.

Unfortunately, car insurance companies often offer less compensation than injured hit-and-run accident victims deserve. That is why you need an experienced lawyer on your side to negotiate with the insurance company. Every uninsured or underinsured motorist policy is different. Your lawyer can help you understand your rights according to your insurance policy and fight for the full compensation you deserve.

Contact Our Experienced Personal Injury Lawyers Today

If you have been injured in a hit-and-run accident, we can help. Our Missouri and Kansas personal injury lawyers will advocate for your rights. Contact us today to schedule your initial consultation.