If you were injured in an accident of any kind, you may need a medical expert to testify on your behalf. All personal injury claims are considered “tort claims” and they comprise most of the lawsuits in our legal system. The U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics show that over 50% of all civil cases are personal injury lawsuits. However, it is important to note that only about 4% of these personal injury cases actually go to trial. Most are settled between both parties outside of a courtroom. A medical expert can help you build a strong personal injury case and potentially avoid the courtroom.
Medical Expert Witnesses
Medical expert witnesses provide testimony in a personal injury case related to the extent and severity of a victim’s injuries. In many cases, the injuries a victim suffered are debated because the amount of compensation the defendant or insurance company will pay rests on the extent of the injuries. A medical expert provides an unbiased professional medical opinion regarding the victim’s injuries. Medical experts may offer testimony in a personal injury case related to the following matters:
- Independent evaluation of the injury
- An expert timeline regarding the existing improvement or deterioration of the injury and the expected future prognosis
- Whether the medical treatment received by the victim was appropriate
- Opinion regarding future medical costs
- Opinion regarding the decrease of either working capacity or life expectancy
- The professional determination regarding permanent or temporary disability
Hiring a Medical Expert for Your Personal Injury Claim
An experienced personal injury attorney will be able to assist you in making the determination of whether or not you need a medical expert in your personal injury claim. However, hiring a medical expert can oftentimes provide several benefits to your case, and build a strong claim to receive compensation for your injuries. For example, a medical expert will be able to provide:
- Knowledge – Medical experts provide independent and experienced knowledge regarding specific medical injuries, and how they have impacted and will continue to impact the victim both physically and emotionally.
- Evidence Review – Medical experts are able to review the medical treatment already performed by other physicians and medical professionals, and make a determination if their treatments were appropriate.
- Future Medical Treatment – Additionally, a medical expert will be able to speak to whether or not the victim will require any future physical or mental health treatments such as physical or occupational therapy, or mental health therapies.
- Settlement Advice – Having a medical expert on your side will help you determine how much compensation you may be able to request in your personal injury case, as your medical injuries will be corroborated and substantiated by a medical expert.
Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney
Medical experts are often necessary to prove the extent and severity of injuries suffered due to the negligence of another. Contact our experienced personal injury attorneys at Griggs Injury Law at (816) 474-0202 to help you build a strong personal injury case, and help you determine if you need to have a medical expert testify on your behalf.