Everyone feels a little disoriented after being involved in a car accident. However, if you were involved in a car accident with an uninsured motorist, you may have additional questions and feel even more confused, angry and overwhelmed. While all drivers in the states of Missouri and Kansas are required by law to have car insurance coverage, many drivers still operate motor vehicles without appropriate car insurance coverage. If you are involved in a car accident with an uninsured motorist the following are some important considerations as you move forward.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists

An uninsured motorist is one who has no insurance coverage at all, while an underinsured motorist is one that does not have enough coverage to adequately compensate you for your injuries and losses as a result of your car accident. It is important to understand this distinction as you move forward with any insurance claim regarding any medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, or property damage.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

All motorists in the state of Missouri and in the state of Kansas must have uninsured motorist coverage as part of their car insurance policy. Uninsured motorist coverage will be available for those policyholders that are involved in a car accident with another driver that has no insurance coverage. It is important after a car accident to immediately examine your own car insurance policy to determine how much uninsured motorist coverage you have. If you are confused regarding the amounts of your policy, visit with your insurance company as soon as possible.

Underinsured Motorist Coverage

Additionally, most insurance policies in the state of Missouri and Kansas also have underinsured motorist coverage. Underinsured motorist coverage is a portion of a vehicle insurance policy that covers any additional expenses that the other negligent parties’ insurance does not cover. In Missouri, underinsured coverage is optional.  Again, the best course of action is to contact your own insurance company, or examine your insurance policy closely to see what your coverage amounts are.

Filing an Uninsured/Underinsured Claim

Filing an uninsured/underinsured insurance claim can be much more complicated than a normal claim, as there are certain calculations that need to be done, and in the case of underinsurance, both insurance companies will need to coordinate to ensure that you receive the correct amount of compensation for your injuries and losses that were the direct result of someone else’s negligence.

Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney

If you were in a car accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist, contact our experienced personal injury attorneys at Griggs Injury Law at (816) 474-0202 to learn your legal rights, and how to ensure that all insurance companies coordinate correctly in order for you to receive the compensation you deserve. Negotiations with insurance companies can be challenging under any circumstances, but when uninsured or underinsured motorists are involved, the negotiations can turn even more complex and even adversarial. We would welcome the opportunity to consult with you regarding your case and see how we can help you receive compensation for your injuries and losses.